6/04/2010

HABITS

Habits will make or break you on your journey to better health and usually a person will have the best intentions in mind when starting on this journey. Some habits are definitely a crossroad and must be broken and/or formed to achieve your results to a healthier lifestyle. Studies have shown that it takes about 21 days to form a habit and even longer to break them.Take me for an example, there was a period of time in my life where I did no physical activity, I didn't even think about any form of exercise. Then one day I had car trouble and broke down and had to walk a mile or so to the nearest phone,that little bit of exertion tore me up. At that moment I was fully conscious of the fact that I was completely out of shape. I haven't put one foot in front of the other in the form of walking(for exercise) for a period of time in years, I even felt a little embarrassed. Well I made it to the phone and had my car serviced. I was so bothered by the fact that I felt as broke down as my car was, and up until that point I did not even care. Well,I started walking in the evenings with an mp-3 player for about 20-30 minutes and after about a week increased to one hour and have not looked back,this was in 2007. I forced myself to walk everyday or at least 3 or 4 times a week until it became a habit.I have learned that the physical make-up of a human being places us as natural born walkers, and that little car incident reminds me everyday to at least be active enough to be able to walk down the street without being exhausted. I also had to place myself in a determined mind set the moment I awakened each day to stay focused. My breathing,sleeping, and energy levels improved greatly. It really feels good knowing I formed a good habit out of a bad situation.This is what started me on the road to better healh.

No comments:

Post a Comment